Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thoreau

In this writing, Thoreau talks about politics. He is very clear about that he sees America as and he wants the men in the government to see what he sees. In the beginning he talks a lot about what he thinks and feels. He expresses that there can become a time where the government get involved a little too much in people's lives. He does stick to the theme of the last few pieces we have been reading, the idea of being an individual. He basically tells everyone that they need to stand up for what they believe and not sit back and watch because those actions will lead to a destructive nation.

I noticed that in paragraph 10 he makes a biblical reference. Does this mean he is a man of faith or was he doing it to create a sense of validity? I think that most writings from around this same time period did use the bible as a reference much more than it is even used today. I think today we only look at it, the bible, as something that is to be used in churches and things like that. When really there is so much history and things to learn from in the book.

I think that he was very passionate about what he was writing; i think that it was real to him. It is or can be hard for us to understand and read things that were written a while back, but i feel like things like this were so simple yet so important. This writing played a huge role in which we have become today!

I was not sure where he actually stood with some of his morals. The part where he was talking about, not participating in injustice but yet not promoting a more just world? That confuses me. I feel like if you’re doing one of those you’re not doing the other or vice versa. I also was unsure on his direct view of America or the world. Was he hopefully or pessimistic? I feel like in some places he was both. I was not sure on this and it seemed to confuse me a little because i feel like i cannot interpret things correctly if i do not fully understand where he was coming from.

1 comment:

  1. These would have been good questions to ask in class! After our discussion, what do you think? Was he hopeful? pessimistic? religious?

    ReplyDelete